Sunday, February 15, 2009

This weekend - without pictures.

Yesterday morning (Saturday), it was so nice to walk up to Red Square in the snow. It has snowed pretty much all weekend. Temperature is about 31 F, but I'd say there's been about 8 inches of snow.

Just fyi - my USB cable is at work, so I can't download any pics until I find that....

So, approaching Red Square yesterday, it was snowing so hard that I could not make out the Kremlin walls. Eventually, I got my bearings and made way to the Square.

I had to wait in line about 1/2 hr. for Lenin's tomb. Waiting in line was very interesting. There was a young Russian woman in front of me - she had no hat and no gloves on. She ended up with her hair covered in about an inch of snow.....but, I must say she kept checking to see if her mascara was in place!

When our small group was finally ushered into the tomb, the first thing I noticed was how dark it was inside. Maybe my eyes were still adjusting from the brightness of the snow... but you are only in the tomb for like 3-4 minutes. Lenin is elevated in the center, and you sort of walk around him.... and then out.

Really, to me, it looked like someone who was embalmed. I could not really make out great details due to the distance, and my eyes adjusting to the darkness.

Another interesting point - the tomb is quite heavily populated with guards who make sure you are not taking pictures or talking...

After this, I went to the Gum Mall and had lunch.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can!

No comments: