Saturday, January 31, 2009
Friday, January 30, 2009
A car parked on the sidewalk!
So, at work, there is a huge "wardrobe." It is the first place you go. Take your coat and boots off. I have been leaving my shoes at my desk, so I walk down the hall in my socks.
I haven't seen any furs at work really. Wonder what that means? :)
The people here are really great. Last night, we went to a sausage restaurant. I'm sure there was more than sausage to order, but it was an interesting, fun time!
I believe I will be moving on Sunday to my new apartment. Good thing I only have 3 bags... so, it should be an easy move.
Another fun thing coming up - Superbowl Sunday - which will be about 2 am Monday morning for us. Several of us are going to a sportsbar somewhere here in Moscow to watch, then we will go to work!
It is still pretty warm here - above freezing. I am told it will be -15 C pretty soon. I think in the US we alway think of temperature in F - so, if it were -15F that WOULD be really cold. But, I know recently there has been some pretty severe weather in the US. I hope everyone is safe and warm.
I'll talk to you later!
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
- The ladies here have figured out how to walk/run in high heels on the ice.
- With the young men, they like to slide on the ice like they were ice skating.
- I have seen two dogs wearing pants - like a whole snow suit!
- I have seen one cat in my building, and it looks very scared.
- The furs - yes, there are lots of fur coats and hats, and yes, they do wear the square-type fur hats we think of.
- Interesting clothing patterns - like tights/pantyhose with rose designs.
- Sometimes people wear the same clothes for several days at work.
- The metro at rush hour is CRAMMED full.
- In public, people hardly talk or make eye contact.
- Women do not shake hands here, however men are always expected to.
- The checkout girls at the grocery near me wear little blue hats and blue eyeshadow. Perhaps it is a themed grocery store?
- The apartments vary wildly here. Some unusual furniture and decorations and colors.
- I only have Russian tv right now. I watch alot of MTV and SouthPark.
That is all I can think of right now. I'll try to get some more pictures soon.
Work is going well, and I think I've found an apartment I like, so eating is still my biggest challenge. Last night, I had instant mashed potatoes and bread and cheese. I just need to take the time to go to one of the big, good grocery stores. I guess it is kind of like trying to eat from the Minit Mart.....
I'll talk to you soon!
Saturday, January 24, 2009
So, I am going exploring again today - to a grocery store that is supposed to be pretty good. The small, local neighborhood shops are OK, but it has been hard for me to find anything I recognize, and even harder for me to cook it - since I still haven't figured my stove out. I did find the manual this morning, but I am still afraid to light it.
I feel much better now that I have internet at home, and they will let me install skype on my work computer. I will also get my cell phone on Monday, and I will be able to sign up for Russian lessons then too.
I'll take my camera with me today on my excursion, and see if there is anything worth taking pictures of.
Then, I think I'll do yoga via CD (thanks Jim), and then probably take a nap!
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Friday, January 16, 2009
Since I knew that I was moving to Moscow, my family has been monitoring the weather. To our surprise, it has not been much colder over there than it has been here. But today - something truly unbelievable has happened - it is warmer in Moscow than it is in Nashville. At the current moment, it is 9F, with the high expected to be 21F. In Moscow, it is a whopping 27F!
The next 10 days, the highs should be in high 20's and low 30's. So, don't worry about me being cold - my coat has been well tested.
Hopefully my next post will have pictures of my new apartment.
Thursday, January 1, 2009
I just wanted to give an update on my move. I will be leaving January 15th.
The will pack me on Monday and Tuesday, the 5th and 6th. I thought I'd take a break the painful organizing and cleaning of my place and send out the link to my blog.
You probably will not hear from me until after I am settled in Moscow. I have the address of my temporary housing, and am told it is near a convent! So, not to worry, I'm sure the nuns will help me out if needed.