Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Castaway

This movie with Tom Hanks is one of my favorites.... it reminds me that you can find ways to survive...

I was starting to watch it tonight - and I had forgotten that some of the opening scenes are in Moscow. When I heard Russian being spoken, I thought, oh no, this wasn't one of the English language CDs.... but then I rememebered... Red Square, the State Historical Museum, the workers in the FedEx warehouse, the translation of Tom Hank's speech, the numbers on the buildings, yes, this is Moscow...

What was funny, when the FedEx driver delivered a package to an American guy (from his wife) to an apartment where he was with his Russian girlfriend, the American's Russian was so bad! I think he was supposed to be from Texas - had a cowboy hat on....

So, I am learning to improvise so many of the conveniences we are used to in America. Here are things I have done in the last week that I never would have done at home:
  • Every summer, the hot water goes out in Moscow. It rotates, depending on your neighborhood. Water is heated centrally here, so they say they have to clean the pipes.... So, I have no hot water. I do have this sketchy little contraption I (or my landlord who still has not collected last month's rent) could attach to the shower... Now, I am sure safety standards are not required here, and the thought of electrocution quite frightens me... So, I have learned to boil water for showers and washing dishes.... So, you GrayBearians..... I am getting payback for all of those cold plunges I was afraid of!
  • I have started cooking more here, because I cannot find the food I want here..... I have made macaroni and cheese, and refried beans from scratch this week - wait till I bust out the chicken and dumplings!
  • I was trying to find some really cheap trips to Egypt, but the site was all in Russian....so, I had to use my Russian (some sites - especially ones that require input - like dates, do not translate with services like Babelfish)....

I was chatting with someone at work today in the US, and they said, "it must be frustrating." I said, "Yeah, it is, but you get over it." And someone else here in Moscow commented on my "resilience."

I think - it is just different, and once you learn how it works, it is much easier. I can easily walk just oustide my apartment and become so grateful that I have enough food, I am not homeless, and I come from a country where anything really is possible.

Travelling, and especially living in another country really shifts your perspective on many things. Things no one could tell you, because you would never believe it possible from your own set of experiences.

Ok, now back to the movie!

1 comment:

vapid babble said...

Castaway is awesome. Hanks had to fight to get it made. In my opinion he's one of the few actors who deserves the salary he gets.