Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Традиционный тайский массаж

This says - Traditional Thai Massage. Has also been referred to as "yoga for lazy people"

It is my medicine here. Since I don't do yoga or exercise regularly - I go here
http://www.marlen-spa.ru/uslugi/uhod_dlya_tela/trodic_tay_massage.php
There is actually a good video here demonstrating how it is done. Fully clothed, no oil. It is like rythmic, assisted yoga. They stretch and pull using their body weight and some really interesting moves.

So, this is the salon I go to for everything. They speak some English... and believe me, when trying to communicate what you want done to your hair, that is important. When walking up Bolshaya Ordynka - I see St. Basil's down the street before I get there. Yes, it is in some back alleyway... but it is good.

They have the best jasmine green tea here....I am always amazed. And, I am amazed at the feeling I get when I walk down the stairs into the massage room. The incense, the music. Reminds me of yoga class and GrayBear. They give you a t-shirt and baggy cotton pants to put on. I always think of Jason from GrayBear who lives in Thailand alot of the time.

The first thing she does is strike the singing bowls. You yoga people will know, but I can't describe to you how calming that is. The second thing she does is to wash my feet in a bowl of water with rose petals. Even though Thai massage is clothed, it is still very phyiscal and close.

For two hours, she presses and pulls and stretches. Look at the video - there is one point where she has her knees bent, and the person's back is arched up over her knees. That was amazing. And another where she sort of swings you from side to side...

This helps me. It brings me back to my body. Back to here, and now.

Something in my new book described Russia as Schizophrenic - which is defined as - "abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality. Distortions in perception may affect all five senses, including sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch" and I must say I agree, although probably not in the bad way most people would first assume.

But Thai Massage (and yoga if I would go) relieves this distortion. Right now, I choose the Lazy Man's yoga. It is worth every penny.

2 comments:

beatles said...

hey ill follow u
cos im adopted from russia

marcos rogerio amadeu filho roberto marinho said...

i m from brasil i lives americana i m jail mr chairman globo tv mr roberto irineu marinho this men put police every day