Sunday, June 28, 2009

Random things

So, here is a picture of the building that "collapsed." They've torn it down now, but it is interesting to hear all of the stories about how this was probably not an accident.....
Here is a picture of the "pukh" - it is seeds from the female poplar trees - and it is everywhere! Looks like snow in the summer. Some people have a really bad allergic reaction to it, but it really hasn't bothered me.... except a few times in my eyes and up my nose!
This is the entrance to my apartment building....
There are many apartment buildings near mine, and very near my building, there is this strange place. There is a small church, and what seems to be some monument to sailors... Anchors and plaques...


And this rooster.......... I have no idea exactly what all of this means.
I also have this little park right outside my apartment. It is amazing how quite Moscow is during the weekends... Today, I sat in the park and read a book.
That is one thing I think I am realizing, I think the Russian people really live for the moment...when the weather is nice, they will just sit around enjoying the weather....they don't seem to be obsessed with either the past or the future, and don't seem to plan much in advance..
I think after almost 6 months, I am starting to adjust much better... I have figured out where to get the things I need - like yesterday, I had to go to the pharmacy to buy my $8 contact lens solution - My Russian skills are getting better, and I think the shock of being here is finally wearing off....
Some colleagues from the US are coming to Kiev and Moscow soon, and I will meet them in Kiev next weekend. I had a call with them last week to tell them about some of the things they will see here - and I know they did NOT believe me...
When I talk to people at work from the US - I can tell that my filters for what is appropriate have adapted to Russian style, and I wonder if I will be fit to come back.......




No comments: